Microderm

So, I finally decided to find out what all this "microderm" buzz is about. I've been hearing "microderm this" and "microderm that" for years now - it was time this chickie got hip to the 'derm , yo.

I made an appointment with Marsia Applegate at Gates of Pearl Day Spa & Salon in Inverness. I have to admit, my palms were a little moist as I drove there... I really didn't know anything about microdermabrasion. And even though the spa was gorgeous (very warm and welcoming), I was still a bit wary. Marsia greeted me, had me fill out a health / skin care history form, and took me back to where "it" would happen. Gulp.

Ok. Basically, I was worried about pain. Let's get to it, Marsia. Is this going to hurt or what? Marsia told me that there are two types of microderm; one that distributes crystals across your skin which are removed by a little vacuum. This type feels like sand paper and you will most likely have redness afterward (aka "downtime"). The second (the kind Gates of Pearl has) uses a "diamond-encrusted wand to vacuum the skin, so you get a more even abrasion without the gritty residue of the sodium bicarbonate crystals". (Sounds so fancy, huh?) Marsia assured me this kind does not hurt and there is no downtime. That's all I needed to hear. Let's get to it.

Marsia invited me to lay down on a heated massage-like table, she put blankets over me and I relaxed into the warmth immediately. Lights were dimmed...ahhhhh. She then cleansed my face and performed a skin analysis with a black light. You can see where your skin is dry or sun damaged by the different colors that show up. FYI, I had some dryness around the eyes and minor sun damage. (I blame mom for not putting sunblock on me as a child. I guess I should save that rant for my OTHER diary, huh?) She then prepped and toned my face and neck. The microdermabrasion was next - it felt like a tiny vacuum extracting impurities, dead cells, eradicating fine lines - oh what a feeling! (I could feel myself looking like Joan Rivers already!) No pain whatsoever.

I then received a mask chosen for my skin type (based on the black light analysis), an eye treatment, hand massage, moisturizer, sunscreen and Marsia's signature lip moisture therapy. The whole facial took about an hour. I would recommend bringing a hair brush, because I didn't and your hair gets all discumbobulated - not pretty. Gates of Pearl does offer complimentary make up touch-up, which was very nice. Hayley Daniel is their make up master. I had never used mineral make up before, and it was wonderful. They carry the Jane Iredale line. I was also introduced to the "kiss me" line of mascara (silly name, I know). I ended up going back and buying a tube later because it is awesome. I have had problems finding a mascara that will stay on my lashes and this stuff does not budge, even if you take your finger and rub, even if you cry (but don't rub and cry, that will take it off, especially if you're crying because you're so happy you finally found a mascara that works!) And, the second best part is, it's EASY to get off when you want it off. Yes, I am sure it causes cancer or something, because everything that's good does, eh? For once in my life, I don't care! I love this product!!! (but if you hear something let me know, ok?)

Anyway, both Hayley and Marsia were excellent on educating me about what they were doing and what products would be good with my skin. My face glowed and was extrememly soft after my microderm. I did notice some small lines were harder to see, but they are back now. It is recommended that people with normal skin get microderm about once a month, people with specific skin conditions should go twice/month.

I am getting older every day and I laugh and smile and cry and I do use my face for all sorts of expressions. It's good to know there are simple things I can do to help keep looking as spry and sexy as the day I graduated high school. sigh.

- Amy O

No comments: