Do men get massages?

Do men get massages? Seriously, is this something I’m supposed to keep to myself? I don’t recall ever hearing another guy talk about his massage therapist…and my dad certainly never sat me down to give the “massage talk” (although he did give the “rub some dirt on it / walk it off” speech quite often).

My wife set-up my first massage appointment (probably four years ago), and I was not excited to go. Aches and pains were just a part of life, right? Maybe you need a few aspirin or an ice pack, but a trip to the spa? It just didn’t seem right.

I was a poor fool.

Deep tissue massage. Oh yeah, it will change your life. I can’t recall any of the details of that first appointment. I’m sure it started with me saying something about “low back pain” or a “crick in my neck”, but the rest is at best foggy. How did I even get home after the appointment? No clue. I was in a daze – I had never felt so…good!! I guess my body was in some sort of euphoric shock.

I couldn’t wait to feel like crap again so I could go back. I thought about playing basketball again – lot’s of injuries in that sport. Unfortunately, it was a while before I was in enough pain to warrant another appointment – damn my youthful resilience!

My original massage therapist was no longer practicing. No big deal, I thought. Deep tissue massage is deep tissue massage, right?

Once again, I was the poor fool.

So angry...this guy really needs a massage!

That massage was crap. It was all ham-handed and random. And my next massage (several months later at a different place) was even worse! I thought it was all over. That first massage was just some sort of magical discovery – never to be found again. Maybe my dad was right...maybe I was supposed to just “walk it off”.

Still…I felt hope. And it was with that meager scrap of hope that I gave it one more try. I made an appointment with Amanda at the Gates of Pearl Salon and Day Spa in Inverness. You didn’t think I’d make you read all of this without a happy ending did you? That’s right, she was awesome!

So, okay, let’s take a minute to talk about the Gates of Pearl and that great restorer of faith – Amanda…

I came to my appointment dejected, prepared to be disappointed. Mother Nature captured the mood perfectly - it was gloomy and pouring rain, which encouraged traffic jams and made me 15 minutes late for my appointment. And then everything changed…I walked into the Gates of Pearl and immediately felt like this time might be different. It was beautiful – beginning with a huge welcoming area, centered by large and gently bubbling fountain. The atmosphere was immediately warm and calming – and the staff, starting with front desk, was exceedingly nice. I was 15 minutes late, remember, but it felt as if they were happy to see me.

Amanda (my massage therapist) came out to greet me immediately. She took me back to the massage room – which was definitely designed for relaxation (unlike some massage rooms I’ve been to that feel more like a doctor’s office). She asked me about my previous experiences with massage and my current complaints. By-the-way, these questions are not “small talk” - a good massage therapist has an army of techniques at her disposal, and your responses to these questions help her tailor an approach to your needs. If your massage therapist appears to be listening - you know, making eye contact, nodding her head, asking follow-up questions (as opposed to lighting candles, folding towels, or looking for a cd) - that’s a sign you’re in for some good treatment. Yes, Amanda was a good listener.

For the first few minutes of the massage (I was scheduled for one hour), I think she was exploring for areas in need of particular attention – probably finalizing the attack plan. And then just about when I was going to ask what she planned to do, it started. From then forward, it’s difficult for me to remember specifics. I’m pretty sure I passed out a few times. You know, you’re lying there thinking “wow, that feels phenomenal. I can total feel my shoulder loosening up” and then BAM! - you’re asleep. Some time later you sort of crawl back into consciousness to having your palm massaged and you think “My God! I never thought my hands needed to be massaged, but…” and then you’re back asleep. This cycle continues for what feels like five, maybe ten minutes at the most, and then you find out a whole hour has passed.


A far more relaxed, and yes, contemplative man...after the massage.

Amanda described my massage (after the fact) as a collage of Swedish, deep tissue, reflexology and acupressure. I would describe it as focused, attentive, and just-plain-incredibly-wonderful feeling. She was also very articulate and informative regarding why she chose that particular approach. At least she gave the impression she was articulate and informative…honestly, I was probably enjoying the post-massage “foggy-headed” euphoria a bit too much. And I was mostly concerned with how soon I could convince my wife I needed to schedule another massage.

Just a few facts about Amanda…she graduated from the Red Mountain Institute (Homewood, Al) about 4 years ago. She is a fully licensed massage therapist with additional certifications in Integrative Massage, Neuromuscular Therapy and Reflexology. She works with clients from kids (for example, a child with a sports-related injury) to grandparents. And she is undoubtedly a professional who cares about helping people.

- Jason O


No comments: