a new you...Sanctuary

I know many people are intimidated, stressed out or frightened to try a new salon or spa... especially when it comes to changing a style you've had for two years too many ( i hear big hair is coming back. We must Revolt! Dear God... don't let your children see you that way! ) I love to change it up... trying new places & services. This will be my space to share good salon & spa experiences with those who care to learn more about beauty & pampering in Birmingham... so hopefully they'll have good experiences too.

This time, I chose Sanctuary. I have to admit, I've always been curious about the place, but was a bit apprehensive... I thought it would be out of my price range. I've seen all the ads & their impressive website (click here if you haven't yet seen it). My curiosity finally bubbled over, like a poured-too-fast beer. Last week, I flung those big wooden doors open and came at those Sanctuary folk with the massive challenge - make me hot!

What a pleasant pleasant experience! The first thing I noticed was how beautiful the salon is... not beautiful in a prissy-faced model way, but more like a beautiful I-hope-to-create-in-my- home one day. Very cozy and warm... with nice things that I wouldn't have to move to the top shelf from grabby toddler hands and swooshy dog tails. It will happen one day, dear diary, it will.

The second thing I noticed were the smiles. Holly and Celia at the front desk were just the beginning... those dames were quite charming and very approachable. My stylist du'jour, Heather Freeman, also came to greet me with a friendly smile and I noticed all the other stylists and staff constantly in a good mood... smiling at clients that weren't theirs... people they had no possible way of getting a good tip out of! Unheard of, but Brilliant! The place has a warm feel.

Heather did a great job on my hair ( see pic and I do think you'll agree...). She made sure we were on the same page by showing me some pictures of what she thought I meant by "Oh, I don't really know what I want." ( I always say that because I'm indecisive... some stylists handle it well, others just kind of melt away into a puddle of hair products on the floor. Heather handled my cluelessness wonderfully.) We decided to do a cute bob with some highlights and lowlights. "Pump up the blonde," she said. "Fabulous!" said I. Jason ( my hunky hubby) couldn't stop singing the praises of my beauty all night long. I believe him (although he also used to say I was beautiful when I was 9-months preggo, and I have seen the pictures... ).

A few things I'd like to mention about my Sanctuary experience... Heather is quite a steal for the talent. She's still an apprentice, which makes her (female) haircuts only about 35 dollars!! Holy crap. I need to make my next appointment before she books up. ( I was very wrong about Sanctuary being too pricey... they've got several levels of quite fantastic stylists that fit all budgets ). Also, I was impressed to learn that Sanctuary offers a complimentary cellophane wrap with all color services ( a "cellophane" locks in the color and gives super shine! I'd never had one before.) Just make sure to request it. Blankets. Oh, what a nice touch! There were soft chenille blankets on the backs of near every chair. I got comfie under a blanket whilst being shampoo'ed ( by "amazing" April) and owner Todd Cargo, while on the shortest of breaks between clients, felt a "chill in the air" and placed said blankets on all clients getting their hairs cut. Fun.

The last thing I will mention (promise) was that I noticed, when I signed in, I was the only one having to give my address as a new client. What that means to me is that people who try Sanctuary love & stay with Sanctuary. Whether it's for the hot talent they've found, the "we're family, you're family" feel, or just the great products they use/offer... what I got was quality, style and maybe a little extra love from the husband. wink wink... nudge.

- Amy O

No comments: